Monday, September 30, 2013

Day 1

Soooo, at some point last night I found out who i'd be meeting up with this morning. The decision was to meet in the lobby at 7:50am. At 7:50am he wasn't there. He was on a conference call and couldn't tear away. So I was in my room waiting for him. I'm pretty sure it was almost 10 before we got to work. And that's ok. He's a big wig lol. We walked in, he introduced me to everyone and then we sat down to work.

I think I may have mentioned to many of you before that we've been working out of conference rooms until we can acquire office space. Well, there are 25 of us today. Can you imagine having all those people split between two conference rooms? And granted everyone wasn't there today but still. A large number were. And uh yeah. Let's just say there were some very unfavorable working moments LOL... If you want to know more we'll have to talk offline lol. I kept hearing people talk about us having new office space but wasn't sure when.

Lunch time rolled around and I hadn't really 'clicked' with anyone yet so I went to lunch alone. There's a cafeteria downstairs which is really good because I wasn't sure what was around the building and was not about to walk aimlessly searching for something. While I was eating (actually I was done) one of the members joined me. We talked a little bit then headed back upstairs.

Let me back up a little. The breakout of the conference rooms are basically in teams. So I was sitting in the room with the more technical staff. I should have been in the room with the functional folks. I moved. Better working conditions if I must say so myself lol. Oh, I never told you what I've been working on. Basically getting acquainted with the system. Reading literature about the program as a whole, it's purpose, the plan, etc. Most people travel on Mondays so as more people arrived, I met a few more members.

As the day went on, I continued to read up on things and finally my homey Raul came in. Raul and I worked together on the Baton Rouge project. We know each other well. He was definitely a 'reassuring' factor in my making the decision to come up here. Once he got there, we talked about the program in a little more detailed and he explain things that sort of complimented my reading. *someone's running down the hallway* One of the members came to tell us our manager is here to take us on a tour of the new facility. YAY Field Trip!

We all got together and walked over to the new office. Nice! It's not the best since sliced bread but understandably so. We had to move quickly so that we could be out of the other people. We were squatters. So we've secured a place for us to work in and the decision will need to be made on whether or not we stay there or move somewhere else. It's better than what we had. And I say we but I only sat there for 1 day. Most of them have been in those conference rooms for months. It's about a 6 minute walk. I can't say its the best 'neighborhood' to walk through but sometimes we're gonna have to do it. We have to support the staff in the first building. So meetings etc may still be held over there. I did come to the realization I will never bring any type of high heeled shoe for work. Too much walking up and down the street. Uneven sidewalks. No ma'am.

Anyhoo, after that, we headed back to the building for a few then came home. My thought is that, if I'm planning to go out to eat somewhere, I will do that (or make plans to do that) before I get home or shortly thereafter. And I wanted to watch Monday Night Football tonight (Dolphins/Saints). Raul and I had planned to go eat together but i knew once I left him at the office he's bail on me. And he did lol. So I googled something to eat and headed for TGIFriday's. I got towards that area and wasn't sure exactly where it was so once I realized Applebee's was coming up, i yoked it in there. Dinner is served.

Watched a little of the game. Ate my food and came back to the hotel. Tomorrow's a new day. In a new building.

1 comment:

  1. Gotta go offline...what had happened?
    lol field trip. Did you pick out in your mind where you would be sitting?
    I'm glad you won't be wearing heals...don't need a broken ankle of some sort. But you could wear tennis shoes and then put your heals on when you get to work.

    ReplyDelete